ELCA Malaria Campaign
Most of us are quite familiar with HIV AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. These are the three big killers which have got the world's attention over the last 20 years. HIV AIDS and Tuberculosis are primarily diseases of the adult. Most deaths occur in adulthood. We now have strategies and experience to deal with all three diseases.
Malaria is different from the other two, for ninety per cent of the deaths are under five children. There are some straightforward preventive strategies including destroying mosquito habitat, using insecticide treated mosquito nets and indoor residual spraying on the home's ceiling and upper walls.
ELCA Malaria Campaign recognizes that 18 million Lutherans in Africa live where 715,000 children's Malaria deaths also occur. While the big agencies(WHO, UNICEF, USAID and the Gates Foundation) train government health services and deliver nets and medicines; huge rural areas remain untouched. The churches and voluntary agencies may well be the first bare feet on the ground promoting sound preventive strategies in many rural areas.
ELCA Malaria Campaign will assist the churches and community based organizations to mobilize the whole communities to cut down the number of children's malaria deaths with preventive strategies. If necessary, the church and community leaders will also arrange for the medications until the governments can catch up.
Click here for exciting information, downloads and activities on the ELCA Malaria Campaign!
The ELCA Malaria Campaign Video
For more information contact the ECSW Swat Team:
Sharon Fox Bogen firstname.lastname@example.org 715-507-0618
Pastor Chuck email@example.com 920-203-5037
Claudette Harring firstname.lastname@example.org 715-241-8351
Pastor James Gerth James.email@example.com 920-468-0713
SWAT OUT Malaria Campaign:
In Depth Malaria Country Studies
International Malaria Studies
Powerpoints & Animations
Bulletins & Newsletters
Posters & Charts
Ideas, Activities and Games for Congregations
- Elias, Gresham lifts up the Malaria Campaign in a big way. Click here to read about it
- A Malaria Idea: Way to go Zion Lutheran Church in Appleton for lifting up the Malaria Campaign at Church during VBS and sharing your ideas with others!
Jodi Hoesli from Zion Lutheran Church in Appleton states: “It went great! We had 20+ children and 10+ helpers. We handed out “bug bottles”, cleaned medicine bottles, to each child during VBS as well as during a Sunday children’s sermon for the kids to put their spare change into for the malaria campaign. They raised $40. I think it was a success! We had a story under the malaria net that Janice Weber had borrowed from the Resource Center; we used the fly swatters throughout the week for our games (we swatted mosquito bubbles, balanced bug balloons in a relay race, and kept the balloon bees flying so they didn’t touch the ground). Each child took a fly swatter home at the end of the week with information about malaria.”
- Click here for exciting information, downloads and activities on the ELCA Malaria Campaign!
- Check out this great link for instructions on making a giant mosquito from coat hangers. The church originally had hung netting and fly swatters to catch people's attention. Then a boy scout leader came up with the idea of making a giant mosquito. They have definitely caught people's attention: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNfix6IDmJs
- Our Saviour's Lutheran Church in Appleton lifted up the Malaria Campaign and has shared some pictures with you! They did a great job! Thanks for sharing Our Saviour’s! Click to view pictures and story!